Friday, February 18, 2011

Upgrading Ikea Coffee Table

My Hubbybunches and I wanted a modern and contemporary look in our living room. We just got married in October and moved to this new apartment so we were very excited to finally get to designing our lovely apartment.

We had purchased the Klubbo coffee table and side tables for the living room, but I felt that the coffee table was not modern enough. It looked a bit clunky rather than sleek. So my Hubbybunches and I decided to chop off the legs shorter to give the modern look we wanted. It ended looking like this:


I was doing some research after we cut off the legs (I should have done it BEFORE) but anyways, I was doing some research and it re-confirmed that we had made the right decision because we just had upgraded our $49.99 table into a $768.00 table (that price was WITH sale).


Klubbo Coffe Table from Ikea

Bellini Overpriced Modern Coffee Table



Here are the BEFORE/AFTER the transformation pictures:


BEFORE NO 1


AFTER NO. 1


BEFORE NO. 2


AFTER NO. 2

And I could go on and on to show my immense love for our new coffee table, but I think you get the idea.


This is what my Hubbybunches and I needed to get this upgrading:
  1. Hacksaw (around $5.00 at Home Depot)
  2. 12" Mitre Box (around another $5.00 at Home Depot)
  3. Lots and lots of Hubby's elbow grease :)

STEP NO. 1: MEASURE AND CUT


We decided that we would cut at the second slot after the legs were tightly pushed against the end of the box, instead of a precise measurement.

It took Hubby about 5 minutes each leg, elbow grease and patience. Repeated the process FOUR times.
The original height is 14 5/8 " and new height is 7 1/2 ". It was a dramatic cut.

We popped out the rubber end from the original leg and put it in the new leg.

STEP NO. 2: ENJOY THE NEW MODERN CRAFTACULAR COFFE TABLE

 I love it! :) Thanks Hubbybunches for the hard work!

No comments:

Post a Comment